Injured chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cakkleberrylane, Sep 5, 2007.

1. cakkleberrylane

cakkleberrylane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Florida
    I have a chick that is about 6 months old and found her laying on the bottom of the pen. When I approached her, she got up, but had an obvious problem with her left leg. I thought that maybe some of the other chicks (some a little bigger than her) may have stepped on her since it happened right after I fed them - they get a little excited when new food appears. I noticed a dark lump on her knee. Not sure if it's dark red or dark brown. Thinking it might be poop, I held her foot under warm water, but it doesn't seem to dissolve or come off. The lump is about 1/8 inch diameter. She doesn't seem to be able to walk and stands only on the right leg. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Does she have any movement in her foot?
    Feel both legs and compare.
    She still could've gotten trampled by the others and might have a dislocated "knee". Your best bet would to be separate her from the others, with another buddy for company and try to set her leg.

3. cakkleberrylane

cakkleberrylane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Florida
    She's able to grasp my finger. I have separated her, she is in a big plastic box in the bathroom and has food & water within reach without her having to get up. How do I go about setting it?
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by