Injured chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lemon and company, Aug 15, 2011.

1. lemon and company

lemon and company New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Hello.

I have a six week old leghorn chick. I think that she broke her leg (it is discolored and she cannot walk). Once she was injured, her mama hen stopped taking care of her. I isolated her. I have her in a playpen in the house, so that I can take care of her and so that the other hens don't hurt her. She eats and drinks very minimally. From time to time, her injured leg shakes uncontrollably. I am new to chicken rearing. This was our first and only chick to hatch (out of 12 eggs). We have had her mama hen, along with 4 other leghorn hens and one rooster for just over 1 year.

I read in other posts that the broken leg could take 3-4 weeks to mend. My fear is that I am subjecting this poor chick to undue pain and suffering. Is it better to euthanize?

2. lemon and company

lemon and company New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    I suppose I posted this in the wrong forum, being new here. I know there is a rule against cross posting. maybe someone with words of wisdom will see this all the same . . .

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. So sorry to hear about your chick. It would be better to post this in the emergencies section because more folks will see it there. I'm sorry but I feel that unless you can devote many hours to helping this chick survive, it is probably better to cull it. It is not only suffering from pain but also lonely. There have been folks that have been able to mend a broken leg but it does take a lot of time and effort. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! I wish I could help you but I have no experience at all with broken legs!! Hope you find your ansers!!

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Oh you poor thing with poor bird, I wish you luck. I really wish I had some info to offer.

6. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I recommend you to post in the emergencies forum [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!!

7. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    WELCOME!

[​IMG]

8. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    [​IMG]! From TN

9. Desert Rooster