1. lemon and company

lemon and company New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    I have a six week old leghorn chick. I think that she broke her leg (it is discolored and she cannot walk). Once she was injured, her mama hen stopped taking care of her. I isolated her. I have her in a playpen in the house, so that I can take care of her and so that the other hens don't hurt her. She eats and drinks when I hold her. I wrap her in a small dish towel and pick her up. Once I do this, she will eat and drink heartily.

From time to time, her injured leg shakes uncontrollably. However, I have found that if I keep her snug in the dish towel, she seems the most settled.

I am new to chicken rearing. This was our first and only chick to hatch (out of 12 eggs). We have had her mama hen, along with 4 other leghorn hens and one rooster for just over 1 year.

I read in other posts that the broken leg could take 3-4 weeks to mend. My fear is that I am subjecting this poor chick to undue pain and suffering. Is it better to euthanize?

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Well if she is still eating and seems happy she may just be fine. Did you splint it?

3. lemon and company

lemon and company New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    I didn't splint it. I am not quite sure how to - it appears the injury is just above the "ankle" joint (not sure what it is called in chickens).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by