injured chick

stilldeb

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
NW Kentucky
I have some bantam chicks just about 10-12 days old and my son's dog (Eskimo) got into the laundry room last night and knocked one of them around a bit. (This dog is making me nuts - son moved back home, brought dog) I don't see any injuries, both legs and wings move and do not look broken, and he (feather-sexed - it's a roo) can eat and drink and snuggle with his buddies but cannot stand on his own.

He can stand if I support him under his belly with one finger this morning, which is better than last night, so I'm thinking some kind of muscular injury/strain and a bit of shock last night as he was just flopping on his side then.

He is alert and is enjoying the extra attention right now. Gave him some yogurt from a spoon this morning and he ate that.

Do I just wait and make sure he gets enough food and water?

If its a muscular strain, yes. Just wait. There's really nothing you can do unlike external injuries.
Its like when we hurt muscles. The only thing that helps is rest.
For now, add electrolytes to the water, help him avoid physical strain.

Good luck!

Thanks - he seems to be improving quickly and can take a few steps on his own now and is no longer flopping back and forth and trying to hold himself up with his wings, so I am very hopeful. What an improvement from last night when he was on his side flopping around. He is a resilient little guy.

Back
Top Bottom