Injured Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Owingsia, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]We have a 5 week old Silver leghorn that got her right tow crushed (Child and a crate we had the talk etc....). [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ok so I used to be a corpsman and also have had parrots my entire life. I am very familiar with bird first aid. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Here are my questions. I cleaned up her wounds and there were very bad. Her right toe was broken in several places along the joints and she has a bruise running up to about mid to upper ankle ( sorry my chicken anatomy is not great) the pad on the foot is also very badly bruised. I isolated her and bandaged the wound. The surface skin has turned black and the skin under is pink. I have seen this before working with Parrots in bird rehabs. My main issues is that the skin after only 3 days has closed up and the bones seem to be fused together already!!! I am not accustomed to healing at this rate. I am worried there will be an infection under the closed skin that can spread and create a need for amputation. The serous and serosanguinous drainage appeared and smelled normal during the first healing stages. She has a very very bad limp and does not put her weight on it. Last night I put her back in the brooder with her sisters and she was so happy to be in there. She did fine with them however there were a few curious pecks but for the most part they left her alone. I have her separated wile we are at work just encase she should be picked on. She is eating although I am not sure if it is enough but it is frequent and she drinks a large amount. She does like to sit under the heat lamp (Obviously it feels good wile she heals) She seems for all the world to be doing great but I am uneasy because of the damage that was done and the seaming severity of the wound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Any thoughts and I can take pics this evening if needed. [/FONT]​

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I would not bandage it, I would squirt betadine or spray with blue kote and call it good. The bandage will cause bacteria to grow it will get to moist etc.

3. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Thanks, the bandage was on probably 24 hours just to catch the blood and stop that. I cleaned the wound and used a [/FONT]bacteriostatic solution. I am shocked at how fast her skin has healed. I cant get over the speed she is healing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by