1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickengirl47, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Two of my Silkie chicks were killed this morning and another is injured and limping, is there anything I can do to help him? He has no wound, and lays down a lot. And I don't want to shoot him.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can try, many on here do. It sounds like he may have internal injuries. He may not do well at all -- or he may mostly be in shock, maybe with a strained or sprained leg, and do fine. Many here would bring him in the house for rest and protection. If he will eat and drink within a day or so, that's a very good sign. Do understand you might end up with a "special needs," crippled chicken, though. If a bone is broken, it will likely not heal normally.

3. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    He walks crossed legged.

4. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Thanks flockwatcher!

My brother was planning on showing him when he got older, so I hope its not bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by