1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured chick!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clifford258, Aug 10, 2013.

1. clifford258

clifford258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    Hey folks I am afraid my chick is going to die... my chick has been with the rest of my flock for two days now. No problems everything was fine I went out today and everyone was taking turns jumping on him and ripping feathers out.... I have tylan 50 can I give this for antibiotic and if so how much!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Clean the wounds the best you can, and then apply some antibiotic ointment to the wounds. Don't use antibiotic ointment that contains any "caine" ingredients, as those are harmful to poultry. Also, keep him isolated in a warm, clean place until the wounds heal. Make sure he eats and drinks, and possibly put vitamins/electrolytes in his water.

Monitor him for any signs of infection (heat, swelling, pus, etc.), and if necessary, you could give him an antibiotic. However, I would not start him on antibiotics unless you see signs of infection, as that will only stress out his system more. Although not recommended, if you decide to put him back in with the flock, spray Blue-Kote or another colored wound spray on him so that the others don't pick at his open wounds.

I wouldn't worry too much about him. Chickens have a remarkable ability to heal quickly and resist infection. Just keep his wounds clean, monitor his condition, and prevent further damage from other birds, and he should recover soon.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Those injuries do not look too bad. I've seen far worse on a chicken.Clean up the injured areas with a paper towel or cloth dipped in warm water. Apply antibiotic ointment (without any ingredients ending in "caine"--thats bad for chickens) to the injured areas. You may also want to spray BlueKote (an antiseptic spray that is usually quite easy to find) onto the wounds.

Hope I've helped!

4. clifford258

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    Ok great!! Now I noticed you said he lol I still meed this one sexed lol thing its cockerel??

5. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    How old is "it"? And is it a White Leghorn? If younger than 8-10 weeks, I would say he is a cockerel. but Leghorns tend to develop large combs early on, whether they are male or female, so sexing isn't always accurate at this age.

6. clifford258

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    Its was 2 months as of the 8th of August and mother is white rock and father is amberlink

7. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    In that case, I think that he is a male.

8. scoopi321

scoopi321 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    I don't know the reason why the others would jump that chicken, but chickens love the color red, and if they see they will more or les attack the one bleeding. sandra

9. scoopi321

May 4, 2013
    I have red sexlink chickend and they have been wormed, doing fine then today one I laying down like don't want to walk but will eat if its in front of her, you can pick her up and she feels light as a feather, shes limping a little, don't know if others jumped on her and hurt her leg or what, the others are doing fine. sandra

10. scoopi321

May 4, 2013
    to goldencomets6---- my red sexlink are so friendly when you go in there, some jump on your shoulder, or your back if you bend over. sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by