Injured chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cassiemerryman, Aug 24, 2013.

1. cassiemerryman

cassiemerryman New Egg

Apr 19, 2013
    I have a chick here that is about 5 weeks old who got into the back yard and "played with" by one of our dogs. Not sure how long she was out there but our oldest border collie was protecting her from the rest of our dogs. She doesn't have any visible wounds, she is trying to chirp and she has flapped her wings a couple of times. I am worried she might have a collapsed lung though. I turned her over and whenever she inhales only one side fills up with air and I hear a faint popping noise. Any ideas here? Oh, and she is drinking water.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry no one answered your post earlier. How is your chick? Did she start breathing normally? With injuries to the chest they can sometimes get subcutaneous emphysema, which is air leakage under the skin. It looks like a clear balloon under the skin. If it keeps collecting, it sometimes can cause problems breathing, and might have to be deflated with a needle and syringe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by