injured chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Coachp, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Coachp

Coachp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    I just received my first batch of chicks (15 total). But one has a hurt leg- it may be broken. The other chicks were pecking at the leg- so I seperated the injured one for the night with its own food and water. I contacted the seller and they were very nice and suggested that I keep it seperated for a few days and see if she starts to get around.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

More info on how it is broken and a pic may help a lot in figuring out what you can do for it. If it is splayed legs, you can try splinting it.

3. Coachp

Jul 18, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF MY INJURED BABY CHICK. HELP!!!

4. Coachp

Jul 18, 2008
    The other chicks peck at the scab on her leg. I am keeping her seperate for now.

thanks again for anyone that can help.

5. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Check up on the internet about chickens with splayed legs. It might help for you to splint them up and I've seen chickens with splayed legs that also have their legs tied up (look like irons for prisoners back in the olden days) but with zip strips.

Hope this helps.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I had a chick that was born like that, we splinted it straight with a peice of pip cleaner (craft stuff) and bandage tape, when we took it off (3 days later) the leg was staright but stuck out to the side and the chick limped around, I had a lady who ended up buying 5 others she took him also so he could stay with his brothers and sister, I dont think he will make it for all that long only b/c as they/he gets bigger the leg wont be able to hold the weight as well ( I might be wrong ), if you could splint it straight and then tape the legs together (kind of like spraled leg) that might work, the only reason why I didnt tape them together was b/c the chick would walk if i did that, good luck and please keep me updated !!!

7. Coachp

Jul 18, 2008
    Thanks- I will do my best to get this leg right. Thanks again!!!

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Sorry........what breed is the chick?

9. Coachp

Jul 18, 2008
    White leghorn.

10. MissM

MissM New Egg

Sep 28, 2014
    Hi

Im just trying to research the same problem with a chick. did it work out for the chick, are chicks with this problem able to walk on their leg eventually. Mine is not putting any weight on that leg so strugelling to move, its 4 days old and I think has had its first food today when I force fed it. Its isolated at the moment, is there anything I can do for it to assist healing?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by