Injured Chicken after predator attack

zachstedman0103

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
One of my Chickens has been attacked by an unkown predator - most likely a fox, stoat, weasel or badger. It has a wound in its side and its whole leg is flat from the hock to the foot meaning it cannot stand on it and cant walk. I have tried putting it in a sling but it refuses to stay in it! Does anyone have any advice what to do here.

Can you try to post pictures? Does it seem like the leg is broken? Wound needs to be cleaned, kept moist using triple antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever), and Vetericyn (a common animal wound spray), and bandaged (using a non-stick trauma pad and vet wrap) if possible. Chickens can survive enormous flesh and muscle wounds. The leg is a big issue though. If you can make a chicken sling, something to support its weight so it can move the other leg and get weight off the injured leg, this will help a lot. Any further or more specific advice would require pictures.

Thankyou very much for your repsonse! Appreciate any help. The wound is under the wing and I have applied silver spray but will have a look if I can follow anything of what you have recommended. I have attached some pictures and I could use the sling but would have to strap it down. Is the idea to have both legs hanging off the ground?

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200610_174433_HDR.jpg
    thumbnail_20200610_174433_HDR.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail_20200610_174415_HDR.jpg
    thumbnail_20200610_174415_HDR.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom