Injured chicken and Pyrs

Crosy00

Hatching
Apr 5, 2023
We had a chicken in our flock get claws by a hawk. It survived the attack. But, before I realized she had been hurt my Great Pyr puppy got to her. He cleaned all the blood off her back and cleaned the wound. She is doing well. Now the dog appears to be tackling random chickens and trying to lick them. I am not sure how to proceed at this point. He hasn’t injured any of them at this point. But, he will aggressively chase and pin them now. He has been with them for 4 months with no problems.

We had a chicken in our flock get claws by a hawk. It survived the attack. But, before I realized she had been hurt my Great Pyr puppy got to her. He cleaned all the blood off her back and cleaned the wound. She is doing well. Now the dog appears to be tackling random chickens and trying to lick them. I am not sure how to proceed at this point. He hasn’t injured any of them at this point. But, he will aggressively chase and pin them now. He has been with them for 4 months with no problems.
That is prey drive. It's best if you start working on this with him now, before it becomes an even bigger issue. He may not be hurting them so far, but it will escalate to the point where he is.

Back
Top Bottom