Injured chicken can't get up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raiSMASH, Dec 11, 2013.

1. raiSMASH

raiSMASH Out Of The Brooder

Something got into our garage last evening and attacked my flock of silkies. We have no idea what happened as I was asleep at the time and my parents hadn't heard anything. There is no evidence other than feathers everywhere and blood. One dead and disembowel, two missing, and both roosters were out of the pen and unharmed. One hen untouched still in the pen with my other rooster who has had his back slashed open and was going into a state of shock. We got him out, cleaned up the wound and made some ringer's lactate. We thought he would come out of the shock but he hasn't moved all night except feeble beak movements. He's bundled up in a box with a heat lamp at the moment. If you try to stand him up and falls forward and he can't lift his head. He seems to be able to control his back end but not his front. He's breathing evenly however. I'm not sure if he's had some sort of head injury or spinal injury as the gash is right on his spine.. Is there anything I should be looking for or anything I can give him? I don't think he's going to make it...

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Give him some time. It's amazing to me what they can recover from. Keep him warm and quiet. Don't try to force feed him, but keep water and feed where he can reach it if he wants to. It sounds like you are doing good so far.

3. raiSMASH

Thank you, hopefully he'll come around. Good news at least, the sun is up and I went out and found one of my young ones hiding by one of our our other coops. Got him in and warmed up. He doesn't seem to be harmed.

4. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    How's your roo doing?

5. raiSMASH

He died later that afternoon.

6. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Poor guy, I'm so sorry!

7. raiSMASH

Yeah, he was my favorite. :(
    We figured out what it was though because it came back last night. Possum. =/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by