Injured chicken concerns

Kneeco86

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
We're very new to having backyard chickens... We bought 3 this past Easter and they've been happy and flourishing with the run of our yard. I'm not sure what happened, one of our girls was either attacked by our dog or possibly even pelted with a rock (neighbor kids :( ). Either way, she was injured and I was pretty certain dead (this was about 2.5 weeks ago). She's recovering well (i think?) and is back to her weird self, but hasn't started laying again. How long do I give her to start laying before I become really worried? I've been keeping a close eye on her, as she's the runt and gets picked on regularly, but is there anything else I can do for her or is this just a wait and see?

Usually takes awhile for them to recover from the trauma and start laying again...I'd give her some more time and maybe some ACV or electrolytes in the water to help boost her system. Best of luck to you!

Thanks! I'll head to the feed store today and pick some up. And I feel better knowing it will take a while... I had started worrying that maybe something else could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom