Injured Chicken Constantly Pecked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by schristopher, Oct 14, 2019.

1. schristopher

schristopher Chirping

Feb 4, 2019
    Florence, SC
    I have a friend that has multiple chickens, and I can't answer this question because I only have one... but...

She has a chicken that has an injury that has been bleeding a little. The other chickens are constantly pecking at the injury. I have read that chickens are relentless when they see blood. Is that true? And is there something she can do to keep them from pecking the hurt chicken.

I'm sure she doesn't want to try to find any of the "rose colored glasses" the guy came up with many years ago. LOL!!! Just kidding!!!

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Separate the injured chicken in a wire crate in the run or coop, so it can still see and be seen by the others until it has healed up enough to not be pecked again. Depending on the injury, plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment can be used. Blu-kote can be used to disguise an injury, but I generally don't use it until it's pretty well healed up. And it's messy and stains, so caution when using.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Good advice already, and pictures of the wound can sometimes help.

4. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Free Ranging

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    This time of year there are lots of birds molting, and sometimes a new feather can start bleeding if injured. If it is a blood feather, it needs to be pulled so it doesn't keep bleeding and cause other birds to go after the blood.
    If it's not a feather, Bluekote should help with the pecking by disguising the injury. Blue kote is an antiseptic also, so it shouldn't hurt anything.
    Good luck!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Had a young cockerel once with a broken pin feather, that sucker bled like all get out, plus was being pecked. Tried various blood stops, finally plucked it and bleeding immediately stopped. Added blukote and he preened it off, reopening a pecking wound.

6. schristopher

schristopher Chirping

Feb 4, 2019
    Florence, SC
    I have copied your suggestions and forwarded them to my friend.

Thank you all for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: