Injured Chicken Convulsing(??)

Lbubbs21

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2020
Hi!! I'm a new poster, but I've had my ducks and chickens over a year.

On Monday one of my girls got spooked and flew right out of their run while the dogs were out. Both of them chased her and one caught her - her wounds seem to be minor. I washed them out with a saline solution immediately and used BluKote and Hen Healer on them. I also started her on Clavamox for infection that night. She was eating and drinking immediately after and was pretty chirpy still too. Wattle is nice and red and not drooping. She was for sure in pain so I started her on some aspirin (after confirming NO blood in stool or pee) on Tuesday and have given it to her morning and night. She laid an egg on Tuesday and was pooping regularly, but Tuesday night I noticed after she would drink water she would push her neck forward, put her wings out and let out this little cry. Like a seizure. She is still not walking, but her toes react when I touch them, no cries when I touch her legs, and they're both warm. No discharge from her nose either.

The next day I noticed she hadn't pooped and was sure she was egg bound. I put her on wet, warm towels and eventually got her to have the biggest (but apparently healthy!) poop and she laid her egg not long after. However this morning she is still doing the convulsions. She did it after eating some scrambled eggs.

It looks more like she's straining to either poop or get up, but the face she makes and her tiny cry is killing me. I was thinking it was something digestive since it's when she eats and drinks, but her poop was apparently a good sign from threads I've read (I've been up all hours since Monday researching - THANK YOU ALL for your help so far!!)

I'm at such a loss for what this could be since she is in great shape in other departments. Thank you!!

It might help if you could post a video of what she's doing, sometimes descriptions are harder to recognize. You will need to post to youtube or other external host and put the link here so it can be seen.

Could it be that she is warm and the water and eggs are colder? Is it giving her a chill?

How many mg's are in your Clavamox Pills, what dose are you giving it her at, is she still on it, how does her poop look, how does her vent area look?

@Isaac 0 i had her on 80m Monday night and tuesday but dropped it to 40 after the first episode. Vent is clean and clear, some poop on the bottom of her feathers from sitting that I’ve been cleaning off her. Her poop is green with some white and smelly. I forget the term I saw, but it said that was good digestive signs.

Could you post a picture of her poop? Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria, so with nothing to keep the "good bacteria" in check, sometimes yeast will multiply, especially with prolonged use of the antibiotics, a yeast infection often presents itself in green watery stool.

@Isaac 0 Her poop was pretty solid green, I wouldn’t describe it was watery. Her poops today are smaller and white with some green/brown but they’ve mostly gotten stuck under her bum. I’ll see if I can get a good picture.

I had her on 80mg/dose Monday pm, Tuesday Am and Pm, but cut it down when she had the first reaction. I read it can be harsh on their tummies and wanted to cut back to see if it got better. They don’t seem as violent as they were in the beginning. Just an hour ago it looked more like she’s trying to stand, but can’t.

Back
Top Bottom