Injured chicken....feeling helpless!

tjmings

Chirping
Aug 3, 2015
One of my favorite chickens recently injured her leg. Took her to the vet and they couldn't see any obvious damage. Was told to keep her by herself until she healed.

I moved her to a covered material dog pen (that I use for my chicks) in my garage. Yesterday the door was accidently left open and one of my dogs got in there and tried to get to her. The bottom of the pen is velcroed to the sides and somehow she got out of that. When I found her she was pinned under the pen. She had no visual injuries but she would not move when I put her back in the pen and her wing was loose to the side.

Took her back to the vets today. Again no visual damage but he suspects she may have a back injury. Her right side is very weak. Her left leg was the one that was previously injured so now she has a hard time moving altogether. The vet bandaged her wing to keep her from stepping on it. He said to keep her confined to a small tub which would keep her feet from being splayed out and to give her time to heal.

Putting her in a tub/box doesn't work. She flaps around (as much as she can) to try and get out and I'm afraid she will hurt herself worse. When I put her back in the pen whenever she tries to move she just ends up on her side, unable to move.

I feel so helpless not knowing what to do to help her. I'm afraid she will injure herself worse. I don't know how to keep her from moving around without further hurting herself.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

That poor chicken has been through a lot. I would suggest to make like a hammock with holes for her legs to go through. Get a plastic tub deep enough to keep her legs from touching the bottom. Secure a towel or piece of material to the opposite sides of the tub. Cut two holes for her legs to go through where she will be supported off the ground. Make sure she eats and drinks and I hope this helps.

Does the dog house in garage have a door on it? Why not put her in there with food and water and door closed until she's acting normal? I've had to deal with an injured leg and the bird did not want to move, was rather docile and in pain needing rest and time away from flock. Doesn't take very long and they are back in good shape. Our cock bird with broken leg I splinted and he was back with flock in about 4 days, splint off in little over a week. That was broken and dangling at hock just to show how resilient birds are. He walked like a sailor for the rest of his days.

Thank you so much @pattyhen !! I have seen some of these hammocks and wasn't sure how they would work. Will the chicken not squirm around and try to get out of it?

I've tried the hammock twice now. The chicken I put in it absolutely loved it. She was a large cornishx. I also tried it with a baby duck and he would squirm right out of it. If you put her in it pet her and try and talk to her and see if she will calm down. Try and feed her some treats. I hope this will help.

Back
Top Bottom