Injured chicken foot by door

WillC

Hatching
Jun 3, 2017
Maine
Yesterday I was tending to the girls. I didn't notice one had her foot out through the door. I pulled the door towards me and she began squawking by the time i noticed she was limping away. They have not started laying yet. I want to say they are about 3.5-4 months old. The raised black spot on her left foot. Should I be highly concerned? Do I need to do anything? What can I use to prevent infection?

Attachments

• IMG_2216.JPG
    IMG_2216.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 31
Is the skin broken? Or is that a discolored, raised area like from a bruise and swelling? I can't tell from the photo.
And have you been able to check the underside of her foot to look for other injuries? Wounds on the top of the foot heal MUCH easier than the bottom.

She seems to be roosting fine. But when she stands she does not put her foot down for more than 2 seconds or so.

Sadly we did not handle them nearly enough to have them be tame near us. From what I can see, the skin appears not to be broken, it looks more bruised/discolored and swollen. Far as the underside, I will have to try and look tomorrow.

Hi @WillC :frow Welcome To BYC

I've found it easier (most of the time) to catch a skittish chicken when it's dark and they are roosting.

In the photo it looks a bit bruised and swollen. If there is no broken skin, then I would leave it be to see how she does. It sounds like she is already limiting her activity. If the others start to pick at her because she's injured, then cage her in the run.

If the foot greatly swells, you can soak it in an epsom salts bath to help reduce swelling. Chickens can and will get some foot injuries here and there - some will be our doing:( I have caught the tip of toes in the door before - I try hard to make sure all toes are in before I shut tight, but.... Other times they will have some type of injury and you just wonder how???

Keep us posted.

Hi @WillC :frow Welcome To BYC

I've found it easier (most of the time) to catch a skittish chicken when it's dark and they are roosting.

In the photo it looks a bit bruised and swollen. If there is no broken skin, then I would leave it be to see how she does. It sounds like she is already limiting her activity. If the others start to pick at her because she's injured, then cage her in the run.

If the foot greatly swells, you can soak it in an epsom salts bath to help reduce swelling. Chickens can and will get some foot injuries here and there - some will be our doing:( I have caught the tip of toes in the door before - I try hard to make sure all toes are in before I shut tight, but.... Other times they will have some type of injury and you just wonder how???

Keep us posted.
Thank you! I will update when her status changes.

Back
Top Bottom