Injured chicken Help!

Jan 17, 2021
My Mom came over and brought her dog and the dog got one of my chickens. The chicken is panting and her legs seem wobbly. One is definitely strong than the other. but she’s awake..idk what to look for or what to do besides separate. Pic for reference although idk how helpful it will be

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 5
She could be in shock. I have no experience, but have heard it mentioned here. I'm sorry this happened and you both are going through this. I'm sure more knowledgable folks will jump in.

Hi, my hen was attacked recently too. Firstly she is panting and wobbly due to shock from the attack. This should subside over time. Give her a thorough look over under the feathers. There maybe punctures or wounds that aren’t bleeding. Give her a quiet and low light area to rest. It looks like you have her in a box with straw which is good. Provide some water with electrolytes or nutridrench for recovery. Provide some boiled egg and feed she can access freely. I like to give the egg as a comfort food. I’ll provide more info in a minute.

I was concerned of internal injuries and crop damage after my hens attack. My experience is that if she has too much internal damage she won’t eat or drink much. She may not lay eggs for a while due to the scare. If you find punctures or wounds I recommend injectable penicillin so she doesn’t get infected. I can send you info on this if you want.

for the moment keep her in a warm comfy area away from other chickens so she can recover from the shock.

i Don’t want to get ahead of myself but keep an eye on her. After the shock subsides see how she is acting. Normal activity, feeding, drinking, pooping? Hopefully she is ok and you can just get her back to normal chicken life.
keep me updated and I’ll help you with this. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom