Injured chicken: How long to keep in the "hospital ward"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jaredwanders, Mar 30, 2017.

1. jaredwanders

jaredwanders New Egg

Sep 8, 2016
    My Cochin hen has several puncture wounds from a dog bite, some all around general bruising, and missing feathers from her wing and underside, in fact, her belly is pretty much bald. I treated her wounds and have brought her inside to a dog crate, where she seemed to be in shock for several days, but now has seemed to be acting bored of the situation. Her wound are healing up perfectly. My question: How long should I keep her inside? She doesn't have any visible blood currently, but you can still tell she is injured looking at her. And with all the feathers on her underside missing, would I want to wait until warmer weather or her feather begin to grow back? (We still get occasional hard frosts now and then) I feel bad keeping her from the flock, she has always been top chicken as we don't have a rooster, and all the Australorps have been much less sure of their status with the ducks since. I have considered just letting her hang out during the day in a nearby enclosed area so she can interact without potential problems.

Any advise is much appreciated! I increased the security of my run since, so I am hoping my improvements will prove successful against any future run-ins with this dog. (Whom the owner swears will no longer be a problem, but it's not the first time I have had to deal with this dog)

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Placing her outside during the day would be a good idea, hopefully this will lessen integration problems when she's well enough to fully rejoin the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by