Injured Chicken in the House

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by duckking, Jan 23, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My 5 month old RIR managed to separate the keratin from the bone on her beak. My amazing vet actually pinned it together and put a collagen dressing on it. Other than looking dorky, she is fine. I have to keep her in the house for 10 days while she is on meds and I know she is super stressed being away from her flock. How should I manage this? Should I bring another one in to keep her company. What happens when she can return to the flock in 10 days? Will she be accepted by them? I'm really stressing about this. Her sisters are starting to lay as well, so I put a nest box in her run here in the house in case she starts too.

What can I do to lessen the stress on her for the next 10 days and how do I introduce her back to the flock?

Any advice would be awesome....Thanks!

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    You can put her in with her friends for a couple of hours per day- or at least outside, but they will bully her. You might be able to bring another one in, but they may fight. When you put her back in with the flock, a new pecking order will have to be established.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Oh my! How did she do that? I hope she'll be ok....

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If you have another hen that is mellow you can try bringing her in to hang out with the injured girl. I've had good luck with that in the past, but it will depend on the personalities of your birds. They do seem to do much better with a buddy so it's worth trying. You'll have a few problems when it's time for them to go back to the main flock, but it will go better if there are two of them and shouldn't be horrible (unless you have a very aggresive bird or two) since they'll have only been away from the flock for 10 days.

5. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    She was going for a bug on the hardware cloth and somehow managed to get caught. My son was there when it happened and before he could do anything she pulled out and she was bleeding. This was 1/2" hardware cloth. No idea how she caught her beak in it.

Realized we can't really put her sister in with her. One of the reasons she's being isolated is so the other hens won't peck at her beak because it looks weird. I am dreading having to put her back in after the 10 days, but we'll manage it. All the hens are very docile and we don't have a roo.

My concern is her being here in the house without her buds for the 10 days. I'd love to let her roam around, but the vet said no to that as she is likely to peck at hard things and potentially crack the coating. I work from home, so I will just work where she is. AAAARRRGGGGGG......my poor girl.

I also can't get the pills down her throat. I wrap her up like a burrito and then expose her head. The vet got her to open her beak immediately. It's clamped shut for me and I'm so afraid of mucking up the dressing.

I think I need a drink.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by