Injured chicken in winter

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shukie6, Dec 13, 2010.

1. shukie6

shukie6 New Egg

Dec 13, 2010
    I am new to this site, and am looking for some help. I have a chicken that has an injured eye. It was from a scuffle with the other hens. I separated her from the others. She is otherwise very healthy. Eating, drinking, and stools are just fine. Her eye is improving, it is starting to open back up now after 2 days. The only way I was able to separate her was to bring her into my garage. The problem is my garage is heated and we are in the middle of a cold winter. My question is once she starts getting good enough to reintroduce back to the flock, how do I get her use to the cold again? Is she going to be ok to just put back outside in the morning and let the sun warm her a bit, or will I have to now keep her in until we have a warmer day to reintroduce her? Problem is that may be spring. The garage is a constant 60 degrees, and our nights are expected to be getting into the teens. Not sure how I should handle an injured chicken in the cold winter months.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am not sure what to tell you but I'll give you a bump

3. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Id put a small lamp on one side of the coop about 24 inches off the ground and elevate it 6 inches every 3 days until the light is 5-6 ft. high. Be sure to anchor the heck out of that lamp though....don't want any fires. My lamps are suspended by eye hooks with carabeners and chains. Super secure!

Ashlee

4. shukie6

shukie6 New Egg

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks so much, we'll give that a whirl!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by