1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured chicken is drinking a ton of water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teallll, Nov 19, 2016.

1. teallll

teallll Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2016
    I have approx. a 3 month old chick that survived a hawk attack on Nov. 16. One of her legs is hurt, and there are talon marks on both wings. Although none of the wounds appears serious, the chick will only stay upright with support. I was truly surprised to find her alive the morning after, as she was very traumatized, but she was alert and started eating and drinking. I'm writing because, as of yesterday, she started drinking copious amounts of water. She'll drink until she throws up, so I have started to limit her water. She is still eating fairly well. Today, she is sleeping more, which def. concerns me. Any ideas as to why she's drinking so much? Is that common behavior following an injury?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about the hawk attack on your pullet. There could be some internal injuries that is causing her drinking. There is a condition called diabetes insipidus, which can cause excessive thirst. I probably would not limit her water, though. Make sure that she is warm enough by keeping her inside in a basket or crate. Paper towels or an old towel for bedding would be a good way to watch her droppings for blood or anything unusual. She is pretty lucky. When chickens are injured, they can suffer chest, abdominal, and head injuries, not to mention leg and wing injuries. Her eating and drinking and survival this long are good signs. Hopefully, she will recover with some rest.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by