Injured chicken isnt eating- advice needed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MyTMo, Nov 2, 2014.

1. MyTMo

MyTMo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Novato, CA
    I am hoping you folks can help me. One of my chickens was attacked by my dog 2 weeks ago. She is missing almost all of her skin & feathers on her back. She wont eat, she is drinking water but not much food. I have tried yogurt and some mashed fruits. She wants nothing to do with her regular feed. She doesnt seem to open her mouth very wide, she will drink a little of the yogurt when I put it up to her. I really need some advice I am so sad to see her go downhill like this. Please help. thanks! Monique and Desi

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She probably should be tube fed if she hasn't eaten in 2 weeks. Try offering her scrambled egg, wet chicken feed, and canned tuna or hamburger meat. Fluids are very important now if she hasn't been drinking, so the water added to her feed is good. Drinking is more important than feeding, but she is probably starving also. Do you think she could have injured her beak? Here is a good link on crop or tube feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

3. MyTMo

MyTMo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Novato, CA
    Thanks Eggcessive. I will give your ideas a try. She has stopped eating for a couple of days now. Still drinking and eating some food, she just doesn't seem interested in eating. She is pooping. Watery with a somewhat solid green poop. I am guessing if she is pooping she is getting some nutrients? Thanks again

4. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by