Injured Chicken - keep with others?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rzimmerer, Feb 26, 2013.

1. rzimmerer

rzimmerer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    Hello,
    I discovered one of my plymouth rock hens injured yesterday. She has a wound under her right wing that had driped blood down her feathers. I tried to clean it up as best as I could and put neosporin on the opening. I have 2 questions really, 1, is there anything better I can do to clean her up and prevent infection, and 2, none of the other chickens appear to be picking on her and she is able to use both wings, walk around the coop, eat and drink, and roost with the others. Should I still move her to her own space separate than the others? My concern with this is that it is winter and I don't know if she will be too cold being separate from everyone. (No, I don't know what happened to her and what it looks closest to is a bot fly hatching, but I live in northern N. America, so I doubt it is that).
    Any thoughts or advice would be great!
    Thanks!

2. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    If she doesn't seem to have any problems with the other hens pecking at her wound, I would say to just leave her in with the rest of the flock. However, if the other hens start to peck at her wound, separate her until the wound has healed, and then reintroduce her. As for the 1st question, I think you are doing everything you can do. Hope this helps and maybe you can find someone with more experience on this! Good luck!

Bluebee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by