Injured Chicken, Not Sure What to Do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ndemerly, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    I went out this morning to the coop and one of the Barnevelders that always runs away from me let me pick her up, no problem. I set her back down thinking nothing about it and another hen started picking at the feathers between her back and tail. I took the 'sick' one out of the run and into the yard, and still nothing. She just stands there. I have brought her into the garage with a heat lamp in the corner of a box. Can't tell if she's eating or drinking yet. It has gotten cold here the past couple days, but she's a chicken. Not sure of the age I think maybe 2 or 3.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    There's a sticky at the top of this section with information we need in order to be able to really help you.

Aside from that, i think the first thing i would check is to see if you can tell any difference, if she's having trouble laying an egg. You might give her a warm bath either way.

3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Does she look droopy? (tail appear like it is lower?)
    What color is her comb? (Does it look like it is pail in color or normal)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  4. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    Quote:She has quite a few missing tail feathers - either she pulled them out or the others did, not sure.
    The comb looks a little off, I think. But I can't say that for positive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by