injured chicken. ..open wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srussler, Jan 21, 2015.

1. srussler

srussler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    One of my 20week old chickens almost got its leg ripped off by a dog yesterday. I have it wrapped to its body holding it in place right now and is isolated. There is a large open wound. I am wondering which is better to put on. Vetericyn or blue kote?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Flush with a saline solution. Then, if it's fresh, use hydrogen peroxide, after the first day use an organic iodine like betadine. Then put an eye type triple antibiotic ointment on it. The eye type melts at body temperature so will work deep into the wound.
    Campho-Phenique is a good thing to use next because it relieves pain.
    Do that twice a day till healing begins.

For the pain, mash up a baby aspirin and mix it in some water and feed it to her in a syringe.

Make sure she's in a warm place about 70-80F.

I wouldn't use blu kote till it heals more.

3. srussler

Jan 21, 2015
    We purchased blue lotion topical spray. My vet tech who raises chickens uses that and also said that spray, neosporin and baby asprin. She is in our basement in a wire dog crate. Its about 71 down there.

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I would suggest using the blu kote to cover the site of the healing wound when you put her back into the flock. It has worked well for me in the past to keep others from pecking at wound site.

5. srussler

Jan 21, 2015
    Okay I will do that. I am sure it will be a good month before she gets back out there. Thank you!

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If she makes it, you'll be surprised how fast she heals.

Did your vet tech recommend an injectable antibiotic as a precaution for infection?

7. srussler

Jan 21, 2015
    No she didn't. She said as long as its clean with neosporin or something that fights infection.

8. srussler

Jan 21, 2015
    How ofter should i give the asprin?

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Maybe twice a day being careful not to overdose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by