Injured Chicken- Please Help! - Need treatment advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by YellerHen, Dec 17, 2012.

1. YellerHen

YellerHen New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    I have Barred Rock hen who was injured badly by one of our roosters or other hens. We brought her in the house all day yesterday and last night. We had cleaned her wounds the best we could and have her safe and warm in a basket in the kitchen. Her left eye is badly injured - due to black crusting scab and swelling we cannot determine if the eye itself has been pecked out. She also has wounds to the soft tissue to the left of her beak. She was eating and drinking and even laid an egg in the basket yesterday. Today we decided to let her have the freedom to roam in the coop (isolated from the flock) during the day. When we brought her back in the house this afternoon we noticed pronounced swelling of her throat area. I feared an abscess was forming possibly from drainage from her wounds. I attempted a needle aspiration of the swollen area but was unable to remove any fluid. I suspect a cellulitis type of infection. She seems more lethargic and less inclined to eat and drink this evening, perhaps because it is the time they normally roost. I want to administer an injectable antibiotic but am not sure if that is the correct treatment. I have seen Tylan 50 mentioned several times on this site and wonder if that would be an acceptable antibiotic to use. She is a sweet girl and we hate to see her like this. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. YellerHen

YellerHen New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    Can anyone please help? I'm really worried about my hen. Any suggestions would be welcome.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  4. YellerHen

YellerHen New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    @ willowbranchfarm,
    Thank you so much for trying to help, I really appreciate it. Sadly we lost her today. I was at work and received a call from my daughter who was sobbing. She said the hen couldn't stand and was contorted and making strange noises, she thought the hen was possibly seizing. I felt horrible for my hen and my daughter -who was home alone. The hen passed away while we were on the phone...devastating to not be home to comfort my daughter and my hen. Sad day for us.

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    :hugs I'm so sorry for your loss.

6. YellerHen

YellerHen New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    Thank you willow. I love the "icon" hug. Hope you have a great day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by