Injured chicken possible internal injury or broken bones

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nicnicx, Jan 17, 2014.

1. nicnicx

nicnicx New Egg

Jan 17, 2014
    Hello, one of my chickens was in the wrong place at the wrong time and a concrete bird bath broke & fell on top of her. I'm not sure how long she was trapped but when I saw her she was just sitting there calmly. After getting her out she didn't really make much of a move to stand up & I separated here from the flock & popped her in a cage with water. She seems very quiet & is closing her eyes a bit but otherwise seems alert. Is there anything else I can do for her?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just keep her separate and quiet, and warm (indoors or at least a garage, etc.) Do offfer food; perhaps something soft at first like a bit of scrambled egg, but her regular feed as well. Obviously, she may not recover, depending on internal injuries -- but if she eats and drinks, it's a good sign. And if she is gong to recover, she will benefit from the isolation for the rest and to avoid being harrassed by the others. Good luck to both of you!.

3. nicnicx

nicnicx New Egg

Jan 17, 2014
    Thank you for that Judy, I have offered her some food which she ate & she is now sleeping (it's quite late here in Australia) overall she seems quite settled so I am hoping that the morning will make her injuries or lack thereof obvious.
    Cheers
    Nic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by