Injured Chicken, **UPDATE** Chicken passed last night.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dreamcatcherarabians, Jan 13, 2011.

1. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My poor chicken got attacked by a dog yesterday and it looks like the dog got her by the backside and pulled all the feathers out in addition to taking a chunk. I've bathed her and put some Cut Heal on the wounds. Her left leg is bruised and she's not bearing much weight on it, and keeps it contracted up to her body as much as she can. I tried to straighten it and she resisted strenuously. I don't feel a break, so I'm thinking a bad sprain.

She's eating her crumbles and treats, drinking well and I have her in a dog crate in the guest bedroom of the house. She's bright eyed, good weight and 'talking' to me. She seems to really enjoy the bath and the hair dryer, so I'm thinking she's probably going to be ok.

I'm looking for input on what I might need to do in addition or instead of anything I'm doing, any suggestions for speeding her healing or in your experience, is this all a waste of time and I should put her down? She's a Buff Orp, I think. She's a good layer and very sweet.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:You have done all the right things already! Clean the wound and keep it clean, separate her and keep an eye on her. If you have some Neosporin, you could keep slathering that on her a couple times a day. The wound certainly doesn't look like a fatal one, the only thing to be concerned about is infection as dogs have very germy mouths (if he bit that area, that is). Keep an eye on it and keep her in the crate until it's fully healed so no other chickens can peck at it and make it worse.
    Good luck. I think she'll be fine.

3. chickens egg me on

chickens egg me on Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    IMHO you are doing the right thing! You can buy colloidal silver for internal and external use and/or use a comfrey salve for the injury. It looks bad right now but it's great that she's eating and drinking!

4. dreamcatcherarabians

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help. I didn't think it looked like all the bad a wound, her vent is intact and she's pooping fine (trust me I found out the hard way [​IMG] ). I wasn't sure how well they came back from leg injuries though, I'd like to think she's going to be fine. LOL, she's all tucked up in the guest room in a dog crate for now, but will be ordering some chicken diapers tomorrow so she can have the run of the house when her leg feels like it. In the meantime, I'm keeping her cooped and putting fresh terry towels in for bedding right after her bath. She seems to relax and like the bath and as you can see from the one pic, she doesn't mind the hair dryer at all.

5. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Poor baby. Hope she feels better soon. Good luck with her.

6. dreamcatcherarabians

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    Unfortunately my poor hen's injuries were more than she could handle. Poor thing passed last night. darn dogs!

7. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    I'm so so sorry about your girl. At least you know that you did everything you could for her. I know it's hard.

8. K9Carrie

K9Carrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Lodi, California
    I am so sorry she didn't make it. You sure did all you could. Sending you a hug [​IMG]

9. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I'm very sorry she didn't make it. [​IMG] You did everything you could for her.

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by