Injured chicken - when is too early to put her back in the coop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jstgttgstarted, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jstgttgstarted

jstgttgstarted New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Last night my cinnamon queen was attacked by our young pup who is obviously still learning to leave the chickens alone. We just received several inches of snow here in Missouri, so she was wet and in shock when I got to her immediately after it happened. Long story short, she came to in about 3 hours and is "fine" now. This is my first time dealing with a chicken injury, so I was amazed at her resilience! She was eating and drinking like normal the this morning, walking around outside, and can surprisingly hop up onto her roost. We watched the other chickens closely and they do not appear to be pecking at her or otherwise aggravating her wound. Her injuries consist mostly of bruising on her chest and loss of feathers in that area and around her lower back. There are no puncture wounds or lacerations anywhere on her body. Her worst injury as it relates to this cold weather is what I have a question about. The skin where the wing attaches to her body is torn, and the point of the shoulder is bruised pretty bad. I cleaned it and put Neosporin on it last night. It is open to the air, and from what I've read will scab over in a couple days. I kept her in a dog crate in the house last night, and I'm doing the same tonight (in a cool room that is maybe 50 or so degrees F). I do not want her to get acclimated to the warm house, yet I am worried that exposed muscle could "freeze" in this cold weather. She seems to want to be out with my other two chickens during the day, so today I let her out for a few hours with them. How long should I wait before letting her overnight in the coop? Our low tonight is 9 degrees but it will get into the lower 20's for the next few nights, with warmer lows after that. I'm attaching a picture of her injury. When she perches, the exposed flesh is covered up by feathers. I just don't want to leave her outside all night if there is a chance the muscle could freeze or she can't stay warm enough because she is no longer entirely feathered. Any suggestions on dealing with this issue would be much appreciated!! Thank you in advance! [​IMG]

2. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    Hi,
    I'm not sure about the muscle freezing or getting to cold. You should probably wait until any blood wounds have scanned as the red color attracts picking.
    Hope that she gets better soon

3. jstgttgstarted

jstgttgstarted New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Thank you for your help and well wishes! Any idea how long it might take for the skin to grow back over this humerus area? She is doing amazingly well. I had no idea chickens were so tough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by