1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leviahschicken, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Leviahschicken

Leviahschicken New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    Hi I am a 9 year old Back Yard Chicken Farmer. This morning we woke up to find that one of our chickens has likely been attacked. We can't seem to figure out how a predator could have gotten into the coop but her injuries are to extreme for just being picked on by the other chickes, plus she was a the top of the pecking order. She has lost a lot of feathers there are bare spots on her wings and her neck. And it seems she as lost the toes on her right foot. I picked her up to look at it and it does not seem extremely bloody. I picked her up a second time to put her into a box and bring her inside and she struggled and lost more feathers. She is currently in a box in the house and I'm not sure what to do next. What do you suggest as proper treatment?
    Thank you

2. Leviahschicken

Leviahschicken New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    Chicken update.
    I did some research on what to do. I decided to go out and get a dog crate and some first aid supplies(my mom helped). Then I put the dog crate in my room with a heat lamp.Then I made it comfy for my chicken (her name is sweetie pie). I put sweetie pie's food and water in the crate. I also gave sweetie pie some treats and plain yogurt. This morning I woke up had heard her shuffling. when I check on her she was eating some food and getting herself warm from the heat lamp.We found out why sweetie pie was limping.She got frost bite and the warmth is helping a lot.sweetie pie is maybe molting. Do chickens molt in fall?

3. Leviahschicken

Leviahschicken New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Leviahschicken

Leviahschicken New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    CHICKEN UPDATE
    Sweetie pie is doing
    great today! She is eating and she walking a little bit.

5. Leviahschicken

Leviahschicken New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    CHICKEN UPDATE
    Sweetie pie is doing great. She is now out side and she has mites

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by