Injured chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by codieb, Jan 30, 2016.

1. codieb

codieb New Egg

Jan 30, 2016
    Hi all,

I have five eight day old chicks in a brooder that's in my house at the moment. I woke this morning to find that my cat has managed to reach in and attack one chick. She has a wound on one wing and her other is all but gone. Is there anything I can do to help her chances of survival? She doesn't seem to be too stressed but I'm worried she will go into shock and I'll loose her.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It would be best to go straight over to the emergency forum. Post what happened, the extent of the injuries and what course of action you have taken so far. While you're waiting for an answer, separate her from the other chicks (if you haven't already) and clean her wounds so they don't get infected. Keep her isolation area warm with a light and put some electrolytes in her water.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck, I hope she'll be ok.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm very sorry to hear that. That is the problem with cats, they can't resist from maiming or killing things smaller than themselves. You either have to keep them under lock and key, or protect chickens that way. Chickens generally have great recuperative powers but, I doubt baby chicks are among them. Shock is what usually kills them - and also protects them from the pain of being eaten alive. Either way it is not a good outcome.

4. codieb

codieb New Egg

Jan 30, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. The poor thing is doing a lot of sleeping. I have made some changes to the brooder so the cat won't be able to reach in anymore.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sorry, i did not welcome you on your other thread on the same topic, so [​IMG] I hope that you enjoy being a member of BYC as much of the rest of us.

all the best
    CT

6. codieb

codieb New Egg

Jan 30, 2016

Thank you.. I am always reading threads on this site whenever I have any questions so I thought I might as well join. Everyone has been so helpful :)

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Good luck with your girl.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by