1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamieledford, Nov 6, 2016.

1. jamieledford

jamieledford Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    Tumwater wa
    One of our chickens Xscape from the coop the other day while we were gone for about an hour and a half when we came home we found her laying in the yard it looks like a dog or something got a hold of her I'm not entirely sure. we have moved her into the house and we're cleaning her injuries a few times a day putting ointment on her wrapping her up and giving her the aspirin water mixture she seems okay sometimes making a little bit of noise eating some food and drinking water she's always extremely weak after cleaning I sometimes have to force her to drink water other times she looks like she's not going to make it extremely weak not able to hold her head up or stand up I guess my question is is there anything else I should be doing for her and has this happened to anybody else and do you guys think that she'll make it[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. jamieledford

Oct 2, 2015
    Tumwater wa
    This picture is a little closer up and we just got done cleaning her and she has ointment on her[​IMG]

3. jamieledford

Oct 2, 2015
    Tumwater wa
    [​IMG]

4. kellyhubb

kellyhubb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    If a dog or cat attacked her, she will need antibiotics ASAP because most animals, especially dogs, carry lots of bacteria in their mouth, including pasteurella spp, which can cause a fatal blood infection. Here is a link to some good information - http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/predator-attack

5. jamieledford

Oct 2, 2015
    Tumwater wa
    I called around to the local veterinarian offices and nobody will look at her I also called around to a few feed stores and nobody has any antibiotics except for one that's for respiratory problems. Not sure if I can give her that with this kind of injury

6. kellyhubb

kellyhubb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Hey have you tried Mountain View Vets (http://www.mountainviewvet.com/)? They are 11 minutes from you (I assume tumwater, WA) and show a photo of a bird on their banner on their homepage, I am sure they would treat a chicken. Here is the address: 4620 Whitman Ln SE, Lacey, WA 98513 and phone number: (360) 438-9623 They are still open where you are at the moment too, if you call now...

7. jamieledford

Oct 2, 2015
    Tumwater wa
    Ty . I'll call them in the morning.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

9. jamieledford

Oct 2, 2015
    Tumwater wa
    Just wanted to give you a little update the wound only had a smell for a couple days but I think that's because we had it wrapped up. Yes that was ointment on her that looks a little yellow ish. the vet you mentioned would not see her I've talked to a couple different feed stores hoping someone new love someone and no one knows of any vets that still see chickens butt she's doing a lot better now she's been up walking around my house and yes I mean the inside of my house she's eating and drinking a lot more and we actually ventured off and went outside today..
    I want to thank you all for your help advice I love this site and if I ever have any questions I go straight to you guys so again thank you so much

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thank you for the update[​IMG] And you are so welcome!

I'm glad to hear she is doing better.

No smell is a good sign, I totally missed that you mentioned that you had the wound wrapped. They seem to heal much better unwrapped, so you did the right thing.

I hope she continue to recover, keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by