injured chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lbbrewz, Aug 7, 2011.

1. lbbrewz

lbbrewz New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    have a red x link 6 months old, my mature hens have attacked her and she has a large wound on her head how do you treat this?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    We need more information and if you could describe it in graphic detail would be best.

3. lbbrewz

lbbrewz New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    gaping, looks like almost half her head is exposed, but she is eating and drinking, no signs of slowing down

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It is great that she is still eating and drinking! You have probably already separated her from the others. Clean her wound with some disinfectant like iodine mixed with water. You can use most first aid products made for humans as long as they don't have lidocaine or any pain reliever with "caine" in the name. Start with water for cleaning if that is all you have. Put lots of neosporin type ointment on the wound. You probably do not need to dress it because she won't be able to mess with the wound on her head. Watch for infection, but if you keep putting the antibiotic ointment on she should avoid developing one.

One of my hens healed very well from this type of injury

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. lbbrewz

lbbrewz New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by