1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured Chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LuvMyChicks4, Aug 9, 2014.

1. LuvMyChicks4

LuvMyChicks4 New Egg

Jul 30, 2014
    A little over a week ago I posted about one of my chickens having lost her feathers and seemed skiddish around me and the other chickens. She has been around us all her life and never had any problems with us. She was also lifting her foot a lot. We checked her for bumble foot and separated her from the rest of the flock. She was doing better, growing her feathers back and putting weight back on her foot. So two nights ago we put her back with the other girls. Today we noticed that she has blood on her back where her tail feathers start. I'm worried about what is happening in that coop! Should I be, or not? I feel like I need to find a new home for this poor girl! I feel bad for her!

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    sounds like they are feather plucking her and canabalizing her as well. you will need to separate her immediately and treat her wounds, until she is fully healed then I wouldn't put her back or it will happen again. you will also need to figure out who the ring leader is and separate him/ her from everyone. They often feather pluck out of boredom, if they are to cramped in, done have enough protein/ calcium or feed, or if one or more is a nasty bully. usually it is a mix of things. I suggest checking to make sure there is enough space for everyone, and then upping their feed especially the protein side. Slices of dog roll, meat scraps or pet mince are good and sometimes hanging some soft cheese where they can peck at it works as well.

you should be worried about her and whos doing it, keep an eye out on them. Once your girl is all healed and you've sorted out the problem then you can slowly re introduce her to the flock, or rehome or get her some smaller more docile friends and an extra coop

3. LuvMyChicks4

LuvMyChicks4 New Egg

Jul 30, 2014
    Thank you for your reply! I thought you weren't supposed to give them meat...?

4. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Just don't feed chicken. Chickens are omnivores like humans, they need both hence they eat worms and grubs for meat protein . so no that's an old wives tale

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Actually they like chicken just fine.

6. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    True, but I meant it like the principle. Just as they advise pig breeders not to feed pork or bacon scraps since it can cross contaminate. Its a personal thing as to if you do or not.

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Never thought of it that way. I don't feed them raw chicken but if we have some scraps left over from supper I give that to them.

8. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    Monroe, GA
    My Coop
    I'm having the same issue with my Silkie hen. Those other hens have really plucked a couple bare spots on her back. I've had to separate her until she completely heals. I tried putting her back after a couple days, bad move. She isolated again and will be until completely healed.

I have a camera in my coop. It appears that she is part of the cause of her own injuries. She starts pecking the other hens then can't get away quick enough when they jump on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by