Injured chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kellymcvicar, Nov 13, 2014.

1. kellymcvicar

kellymcvicar New Egg

Sep 23, 2014
    My beloved three month old naked neck turken was just attacked by my jack Russell about an hour ago. Can't see any external injuries or punctures but worried that he has internal injuries and wondering if there is anything I can do save him? He is eating and drinking but seems like he is struggling to walk. He also keeps shaking his head? I have put him in his cage inside and he is in a blanket.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

You did the right thing by bringing him in. Keep him warm (but not too warm), quiet and give him vitamin water and mix his food with a bit of water.to moisten it. Make sure you check him very thoroughly for injuries-under his wings, around his vent, etc. He's in shock, so give him a day or so and then assess his situation again. Please let us know how he does!

3. kellymcvicar

kellymcvicar New Egg

Sep 23, 2014
    I found a puncture wound by his one leg last night. I have cleaned it out and put some tetracycline powder on it and left him for the night. He seems to be fine this morning, still eating and drinking. Will be taking him to the vet soon. Thanks for your help.

4. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

That's good news. Sounds like he's going to make a good recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by