Injured chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Healthy Girl, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Healthy Girl

Healthy Girl New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    I am very happy to have found you! We have had 9 white longhorn hens for nearly two years with no issues. They are great egg layers and they have very spacious quarters. They are free range chickens throughout the day. All of the sudden without reason, two of the hens while out free ranging began to fight. One was injured and will recover but is being rejected by the rest of her flock. These girls are sister hens, born and raised together. Never any fighting? We cleaned her up the best we could. We need advice.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to our flock!! [​IMG]

Sorry about your injured hen. I would give the injured one a good once over for other health issues. Many times the flock can pick up things that we don't see easily and being their job to protect the rest of the flock will try to run off a sick member of the group.

Have you wormed your birds lately? Could she be internally laying? Have water belly? Something else going on?

Health issues are not always the case, but it can be. Or if she was gone for a while from the flock while healing, mixing them back into the flock can be challenging. So if she was away from the flock for a long period of time, reintroduce her slowly from a cage or enclosure within the coop and run. Everybody sees, nobody touches. Leave her this way for 3 weeks or so and then you can mix her back in. The aggression should be less. And put out more food and water stations too so they don't starve her out.

Good luck with your flock and if you have any further questions feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your injured hen! [​IMG] Two Crows gave you some good advice.

4. Healthy Girl

Healthy Girl New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    Thank you for your advice. This just happened two days ago and we did isolate her to the pen with door shut and others free ranging. When we brought them altogether the next day, same attacking began as we watched carefully and pulled them apart again. As they all go into roost tonight we will try the cage idea so she is with them and they see her but cannot harm her. Thanks again, open to any ideas.

Have never wormed birds. [​IMG] We will research this. Glad we have your support on this site.

5. Rosecomb Lover

Rosecomb Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Canada
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to our flock! We're glad to have you here![​IMG]

Try to worm them every few months. Wouldn't want your chickens to have worms.[​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined.

I'm sorry about your hen![​IMG]

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your hen, hope she is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by