Injured chook. How long can I keep her away from the flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Minch83, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Minch83

Minch83 Out Of The Brooder

I have a recovering chook that's been seperated from the flock for a week. She still needs time to heal but how much longer can I keep her away from the others? I've heard chickens can't survive alone??

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Chickens are flock animals, so ideally, they need to be with other birds - but she can survive without them.The longer you keep her away from the flock, the more likely it is that she will have integration issues when re-joining them. Not sure what the problem was, but if there are no signs of blood, and you have multiple food stations, so she can eat then i would suggest putting her back with the flock as soon as possible. If you don't feel this is appropriate and you wish to keep her segregated, then it would be an idea, when putting her back with the flock, to treat her as a new flock member. This link may help you out

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock

All the best
    CT

3. Minch83

Minch83 Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the info!! She was attached by a fox. The flock free range with our maremma. She wasn't bleeding from her wounds when we found her so I tried put her back after a day but both the dog and the flock singled her out. I guessed it was due too her wounds [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by