Injured Cockerel Limping, natural Pain relief ? energy boosting remedies/food ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hollywoodandme, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Hollywoodandme

Hollywoodandme New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Wiltshire, UK
    Hi,
    we breed brahma chickens as a hobby and when one of the chicks was about 6-7 weeks old he was attacked by a crow just before he put himself away [​IMG] He was lying on his side, the top of his neck was bleeding and he was barely alive. We carefully brought him inside and put him in a box with food, water and straw and made it as quiet as possible for him as he was in complete shock. We did not expect him to last the night. But when we woke up the next morning we discovered that he was still alive ! [​IMG] He was still in pretty bad shape and we thought that he was probably blind as when crows attack they go for the eyes. After a couple of days he opened his eyes completely and he were certain he could see ! [​IMG] Then a week after that his neck wounds had healed so we popped him in the garden for an hour each day so he could get used to being outside and using his body again. After a while it became apparent that he had a limp. We figured that as the crow was attacking the chick had broken his leg (or dislocated it ) and it had healed at an angle after rest leaving him with a permanent limp. Of course we couldn't sell him after the attack. I could couldn't bring myself to let him be killed with the other cockerels that hadn't sold as he'd been through so much already. We decided to keep him to become a quiet backyard chicken for life.

As Brahmas do he got a LOT bigger and so he has a lot more weight on that leg than when he was a chick. It doesn't seem to hurt him as he ambles around his cage and the garden with friends quite happily but he gets very tired during and during the end of the day. We're trying to find out if we can give him any natural pain relief herbs ? or energy boosting remedies or food to help him ?

Do any of you have chickens with limps or things like that ? what sort of things do you do to help them ? I'd be REALLY grateful for any suggestions. Thanks awfully [​IMG]

[​IMG]This is him now and you can just see the kink in his leg outward

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Hollywoodandme

Hollywoodandme New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Wiltshire, UK
    Great ! Thanks I'll check it out [​IMG]

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    When you are dealing with leg injuries it is best not to mask the pain. They will overuse the leg and only suffer more. If this is chronic pain, arnica is a great natural pain killer. Pilules are the best.

5. Hollywoodandme

Hollywoodandme New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Wiltshire, UK
    Thank-you fancychoocklady, I agree he doesn't seem to be in pain so I think we'll just keep an eye on him for now. He can lie down whenever he wants to so hopefully he won't get any worse [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by