Injured Comb and Beak!

Brooksie2323

Hatching
5 Years
May 5, 2014
Just came home and found my poor girl has an injured beak and comb. It almost looks like she got caught in the hardware cloth - hope it wasn't another hen! I'm especially worried about her beak because it looks like she may lose part of it and I know she will have problems eating.

What is the best treatment for this? We are new to raising chickens and this is the first injury we've had.

Thanks,

Brooksie

Welcome to BYC. I would try to get the bleeding stopped with pressure, or use some blood stop powder or flour, and if possible isolate her in a cage or in your house tonight to keep her from being pecked because of the red color. Tomorrow if you have some BluKote you may want to dab a little onto the wounded area with a finger or QTip to cover the red. Iodine may work as well. Look around at your feeders and waterers for any sharp areas. Here is a good link to read on beak repair, and I would do a search at the top of the page for injured beak as well for articles on BYC: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/repairing-chickens-broken-beak.html

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply Eggcessive! So helpful. I was in such a panic I didn't take the time to search. After attempting to repair the beak the tip ended up falling off completely. Just the hard outer layer. I'm feel more at ease that she will heal and be ok after reading the article. She is inside for the night. Time to get the chick first aid kit put together! Thanks again
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom