Injured deer.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Jolyn, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Not sure where to put this.

We have a deer on our property that is missing part of her back leg. At the end of last summer she was around and she seemed to be doing pretty well. She was keeping up with the others and she just did this hop thing. Well she's back this year and she is alone. [​IMG] She isn't hopping anymore. She is putting pressure on her back leg when she walks and is very slow. I spotted her last night when i went to close up the coop. Then i've seen her four or so times today walking around the property eating.

I called a fawn rescue and she said that there is nothing to do for this older doe. She can't really be rehabilitated. She's getting thin.

Should i just let her roam the property until she dies (natural or coyotes) or should i call animal control. I'm not sure if she's in terrible pain.....

I just feel so bad for her. Should i put out some sort of feed for her?

What would you do?

Jodie

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    I would contact animal control. But thats if you have the number...You can try searching it on the internet. But, im not sure what else to do...someone else might help you, but, calling animal control for advise and directions is a good thing to do.

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I would just let nature take it's course. Sometimes when we intervene we make matters worse.

4. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Quote:Yes...Im pretty sure calling them will make it esier for you, so you wouldnt worry.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I would put a little food out for her and maybe try calling the parks rangers or something like that. forestry people deal with deer I think. Do you have enough acreage to just let her stay there?

6. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    We have three acres and she seems to be sticking around here. We are near a main road though so i do worry about her. Although she is so slow so i can't imagine her darting out into the street.

What would i put out for her to eat?

I just don't want her to be in pain or get attacked by coyotes or etc. That was my main reason for calling animal control.

Plus my boys are outside playing alot and i have warned them to stay away from her.....but you know kids.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I personally think that since it is a wild animal, it would be good to let nature take it's course. If she does look like suffering, a park ranger or animal control may be able to put her down for you and her.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* You should have a regular wildlife rescue to contact-- In fact, I'm surprised that the fawn rescue didn't give you a number to call. Try contacting a local vets office and ask if they have a number. Meanwhile, if it's been hot there-- get her a watermelon. Deer love them and she'll get water, sugar, potassium and other good things from it.

9. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    How about contacting the Department of Fish and Wildlife if you need to contact someone, either way, whoever you contact will probably put her down.

You could feed her, they sell deer food at some feed stores, alfalfa, salt lick, corn, apples, and such

I had saw once a clip of a family er a old man and old woman set a table outside for themselves and a bunch of other plates, filled the plates on the table with food, filled there plates sat down and all the deer came to the table and ate too, it was so cute, I tried to find it but didnt have any luck. Anyway I hope the girl pulls through it and makes it through this summer and then cold winter!

10. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    If you call your local police, they will dispatch of the deer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by