Injured Delaware- not sure what to do now

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Felena, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Felena

Felena New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    Washington
    My Delaware hen has a lump on the right side of her neck. I gave her a bath and sprayed her
    with Vetericyn because we are sure our other hens attacked her(she was bloody last night) but then I found this lump while cleaning her. Could it be from getting attacked? Its probably the size of a golf ball. Suggestions?

Thank you
    [​IMG]

2. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks like her crop to me? How does it feel? If it is her crop that's full from eating it should feel quite firm and you may even be able to see or feel the texture of her food. As long as it's not torn or bleeding she should be fine, I'd just keep an eye on her.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suspect a predator attack that has opened the neck. Some animals with go after the crop. I would take her to a vet to get stitched up if at all possible. Make sure that the crop is not cut or injured. Offer her fluids and make sure the crop empties overnight. If you can get Vetericyn spray, that would be good to use for wound treatment. Keep her in a clean cage with an old towel for bedding. Be cautious with food until the crop is functioning and not injured. Soft feed mixed with a lot of water would be good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by