1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ilovemychickies, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone! I have a German Shephard that likes to cut in front of the horses while they are running to get there breakfast and dinner. Well, he finally got stepped on. [​IMG] The horse and him were on a strip of blacktop when he cut in front. The horse tried to stop but wasn't able to. When she skidded to a stop, his pad got stuck under her hoof and scraped against the blacktop when she skidded. My question is, will the skin on the pad of his foot grow back, or will it be hurt forever? And also, do y'all know of anything that we should do for his pad? Mom put some anti-bactierial stuff on it, but we're not sure if we should do anything else. Any help would be much appreiciated! Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Could get infected; you really should take the GDS to the vet.

3. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    It is going to depend on how bad the pad is injured and how old the dog is.
    I have had an old dog with a minor pad injury that limped for forever. A fairly young rescue dog with major pad damage that took months of treatment with a fresh bandage 3 times a day before it finally healed. She finally healed enough for adoption. And I am told she no longer limps.
    If this is a major pad injury you might want to make a trip to the vet just to be safe.
    My 6 year old lab cut his pad last year and he still does not want me to touch it. Of course he is a wuss anyway. LOL He does not limp but he does not want anyone to mess with that foot.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I have a chocolate lab that jumps (or jumped) out of the back of the truck coming home from a camping trip. Yes, I had her on a leash and that saved her, that and I watched her do it and we stopped right away. She was like hanging there, but she did scrape her pad up pretty good. I held her all the way home and washed it with an alcohol pad I had and put neosporin on it. She did fabulous. I guess it just depends on how bad it is.

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Yes the pad will grow back, at least in my experience. Watch out for infection, and wrap with that tape that you use for horses--tru-flex cohesive elastic bandage. this will keep him from licking it, but you will need to raplace it and keep checking for infection.

Ihaven't experienced YOUR situation, but we have had alot of pad injuries with our dogs.

6. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    OK! My professional opinion is to tell you to GO TO THE VET.
    BUT........this is what I would do......we see alot of these kind of injuries in flyball competitions. So clean it out really good with hydrogen peroxide, if there is any skin left on there 1 option is to cut it off to help it stay clean, the other option is to super glue it back. If you glue: it has to be a new bottle and the area MUST be very clean! Then either way wrap it up with vet wrap and put bitter apple on the bandage. The pad will grow back and all will be good. Remember to clean it EVERYDAY! And you can put antibiotic ointment on it.
    Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.
    [​IMG]
    **make sure the foot is not injured in any other way!!

7. ilovemychickies

It looks like Ty is getting a trip to the vet! The top layer of skin on his pad has been scraped off. The injury is about an inch long. I think that he's 4 years old. I hope that he'll be ok. Thanks so much for the help.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Oh gosh, poor dog. He could have been history. And good thing the horse didn't get hurt too. I'd follow the advice already posted, but take him to the vet at the first sign of ANYthing wrong.

9. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I'm on the 'seek DVM treatment' list. Pad injuries can go south pretty quickly. Whatever you do, be sure to vetwrap the time out of it to avoid, er, contamination. Please keep us updated!

I've had several dogs meet horses in an injurous way over the years. So far our worst injury was a fractured foreleg (thanks to a Percheron mare and a stray tennis ball).

10. ilovemychickies

Thanks so much for the help everyone! The vet had already closed by the time that we were ready to go last night, so Ty didn't have to go. I think that we were planning to take him today, but he seems to be walking on it fine now. So we'll see how he's doing later. Thansk again everyone for helping! I really appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by