EmberTheChicken

Chirping
5 Years
May 2, 2017
So i found an injured dove in my backyard near my hen, and he tried to fly up and he hit the wall hard. I picked him up and wrapped him up in a blanket thinking that he only had a minor bruise, but i looked at where his crop should be and i see a bunch of small seed like things stuck to him, and i thought they might have been some big ticks or something. I searched deeper into his feathers and i found that they were actually seeds and they were coming out of a small hole on his breast area. (im not sure if it's just a natural hole or a puncture of some sort) I cleaned the area with a napkin in a salt water solution and i heated up his blanket and he went to sleep for a while. Im not sure what i can do to cover up the hole, i dont think his crop is ruptured but just the skin around it broke. I not an expert on pigeons or doves and i dont know what else i can do.

Attachments

• 20171214_191714.jpg
    20171214_191714.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20171214_191826.jpg
    20171214_191826.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 23
Im still unsure about the hole and what it is and if it is supposed to be there. Don't know if it's a puncture or not. Anyone have any clue what it could be, and if it should be covered?

the hole is not supposed to be there.
get some bandaid sutures , pluck or cut the feathers away from the hole enough to use the suture bandages or get some liquid skin. close the hole and apply the liquid skin oe suture.--just make sure the hole is close as good as possible. The biggest wory is shock, which can kill the bird. You can also put some anti-biotic ointment around the wound . Neosporin etc. luck to ya and thebird especially.

The crop has been punctured as well as the outer skin. I agree with junglejane as well.
Once the bird is a little stable and not in so much shock, the crop itself might need a stitch or two or something to stop more food falling out , then once that's closed up, the outer skin can be closed up. Make sure you remove any of the seeds that have fallen out of the crop before the outter skin is closed up.
You could also put a little sugar in water for the dove to drink, this will help replenish electrolytes.
You've done a really good job so far

IMG_1271.JPG This looks like the hole in the crop to me,it's very small so it might just heal itself, i just think it needs to be closed up before the outer skin is closed to stop seeds leaking out and floating around the birds body. Don't give the bird anything to eat until the crop is closed up but do give plenty of water.
In my experience, pigeons heal very well and very quickly, I've seen some pretty terrible injuries and some pretty amazing recoverys from pigeons. So I think your bird has a good chance

Also for closing up the crop hole, I've heard you can buy a special skin glue from local drug stores, I think that's the sort of thing a vet would use to close up the hole in the crop and skin. I hope I've been able to help you, let me know how it all goes

Thank you all so much. The dove managed to make it through the night thankfully and has managed to drink some water without it spilling out. My sister has bought a type of therapeutic clay that can be used to cover up the hole and help the skin grow. He seems to be pretty relaxed and snuggled up in the warm blankets i heated up for him. Thanks again, I'll keep y'all updated on his recovery! :)

Thank you all so much. The dove managed to make it through the night thankfully and has managed to drink some water without it spilling out. My sister has bought a type of therapeutic clay that can be used to cover up the hole and help the skin grow. He seems to be pretty relaxed and snuggled up in the warm blankets i heated up for him. Thanks again, I'll keep y'all updated on his recovery! :)
I'm so glad he's looking well and he's in very good hands with you :)

I'm so glad he's looking well and he's in very good hands with you :)

Thanks! I gave him some electrolytes and i put some antibiotic cream around the wound to prevent any infection. He looks and acts a lot better than yesterday, and he's really calm!

Attachments

• 20171215_155306.jpg
    20171215_155306.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20171215_155314.jpg
    20171215_155314.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom