Injured dove - need help, please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by believer01, Jan 13, 2011.

1. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Found her as I closed up the coop at dark. She's been trying to get out and has beat herself against the chain link. Her breast muscle is showing, no feathers, and dripping blood in an area about the size of a silver dollar.

sprayed the wound with colloidal silver, put her in a cat carrier on a clean white towel with a dish of water. She was flying when I found her, but now is just laying completely still and hasn't moved since I put her in there. Its dark and quiet, and warm. Anything else I should do?

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Let her rest in the dark in a quiet spot. She may stay quiet for a day at least. Shock is the enemy and peace and quiet is best.

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Forgot to say warm too! Leave her with some food and water, but mostly leave her in peace.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

dark, quiet, and warm is exactly what she needs right now. Offer her some high-protein treat in the morning like cottage cheese or scrambled eggs, too. [​IMG] Hope she has a speedy recovery.

5. believer01

Dec 19, 2010
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Will do.

And anyone else chime in with other ideas ok?

6. chickens egg me on

chickens egg me on Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    In my experience, you did exactly the right thing by using colloidal silver (CS) externally. If you have a small dropper, you can also give CS orally. To deal with the injury to the chest, you might want to pick up some comfrey salve...with calendula is good. You can find this salve--or ointment, at your local supplement dealer. Just apply it and leave her to rest as everyone else has suggested...you might check on her later and treat her again with the salve, then wait 'til morning. She should start to recover soon. Many good wishes!

7. believer01

Dec 19, 2010
    Thanks again. I've got that type ointment on hand. Should I disturb her tonight to apply it or wait till morning? Also, anyone know how long I should keep her confined? Through tomorrow? Till there's some feathers? Its going down into the twenties for the next couple nights and she won't have any protection against the cold on that spot.

8. chickens egg me on

chickens egg me on Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    I would apply it tonight. Comfrey is a miracle worker. It should only take a few days of applying this until that spot is healed. I would keep her in according to how she's behaving. When she shows you that she's better, that's a good time to put her back.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is she a wild bird that accidently got on the wrong side of the fence?

10. believer01

Dec 19, 2010
    Yes, Miss Lydia. The coop is inside a chain link fence that has deer netting spread across the top. I suppose she did like so many other wild birds and landed on the fence, then went thru into the pen. Then got scared and couldn't find her way out. Eggs on me, I'll go put some ointment on when I move her....right now she's in the quietest room, the half bath off the laundry room. But it gets so cold at night that we bring the dogs into the laundry room at night and I'm afraid they'll make noise and scare her. So before we bring them in, I'll move her into hubby's office for the night - he's still working so can't do it yet. A dear friend sent me some ointment that her family makes in Israel, top quality ingredients so that's what I'll use!!! Thanks again!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by