1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

injured drake questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ariesmom, May 17, 2011.

1. Ariesmom

Ariesmom Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    We have a male swedish blue that is an idiot to put it plainly!! He has attached to a particular hen of ours and will defend her to no end. We recently got a new full grown rooster that isn't starting any fights with him but since the duck won't leave him alone he's begun to retaliate and now the duck has a bloody nose...lots of crust and his nostrils looks ripped a little bit. The rooster is fine being around him and there is a divider to keep the duck away from him but he is persistent and sticks his ducky head thru the wire to keep messing with the rooster who then rips into his face! It's all up to the duck to keep the peace but he just won't quit!! How do I end this constant battle and will there ever be peace or will the duck learn the hard way and end up dead or infected til he's sick from all the wounds. I have since let the rooster free range and the duck and hens are in an enclosure but the dumb duck STILL sticks his head out and gets beat up!!!! What is wrong with him?!

2. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Can you change this divider to something with holes smaller than his head?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He regards the hen as his mate and is defending her from the intruder. Another duck as a mate MIGHT correct this behavior.

4. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I agree that you should put up a barrier that he cannot stick his head through.

5. Ariesmom

May 4, 2011
    I just modified the barrier so he cannot put his head thru but the rooster still hops over it and that's when he gets nailed...the poor rooster is bleeding but still putting up a fight for defense...i don't know what to do...I'm afraid I'll end up with one dead bird tomorrow morning, be it the rooster or the duck. My opinion...the duck is the aggressor but the rooster won't put up with bullying. BTW...the rooster is a dominekker (?) supposedly more docile. HELP! Do I need to rehome the duck or will they develop a pecking order of some kind?

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Can you make the barrier higher so the rooster can't get over? It does sound like these two have a major personality clash....

When you say 'the duck and hens are in the enclosure' do you mean chicken hens or duck hens? It might help to get the drake some duck hens of his own. But you will probably still need to keep the rooster and drake separated. They may eventually calm down but they may not. Although you say that the drake is the trouble maker it does seem that the rooster is marching over to the drake to retaliate. Both of them are just doing what makes sense to them - defending their territory and their ladies.

Who do you need more - the drake or the rooster?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Way long ago back when I was a kid [​IMG] I had a RIR rooster and a muscovey drake that would spar daily. One day when I was at school the drake killed the rooster and several of the hens. He just went on a rampage. It's all about territory and dominance. Unless you have a very large area that they can free range in, I seriously doubt that those two males can co exist.

8. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    My drake and rooster do the same thing. I am keeping my rooster in a pen but the drake will run up and down the fence trying to fight him. I have 8 hens for the rooster and the drake has a mate but the drake won't let the rooster near the hens. I'm getting rid of my rooster if I can find someone to take him. He is huge and a very pretty buff orpington.

9. Ariesmom

May 4, 2011
    I have had the duck longer...just recently got the rooster and when I say hens I mean 2 chicken hens ( one that came with the rooster and one that has been with the duck) the original lady is the one he's so protective of. I have no way to keep them completely seperated unless I let the rooster free range and on 15 acres I'm afraid he'd turn up dead or missing from the huge owls we have around here. The duck looks awful from all the pecking on his nose but the rooster is bleeding on his waddles from the attacks. When I bought the rooster I asked about them possibly fighting and he said after a few disputes they would come to terms on pecking order. I don't want one to turn up dead but i would hate to get rid of any of them....as it stands they are together right now but it's dark out and all is quiet...hopefully no one turns up dead by morning til I can figure out what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by