injured duck/breed identification?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LaGeniaLoca, Jan 14, 2013.

1. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Someone brought this bird to me today saying they found it in the parking lot at work,. which happens to be right across from a fishing lake where I care for some animals. Its very calm and is comfortable being held, so I don't think it's wild. It looks like a duck of some sort. It's very small. Fits in the palm of my hand, but is fully feathered. The bill is wide at the tip, but I don't know if that's normal or if it's an injury. It seems to have been attacked by something. The bill looks swollen and feels squishy around the top front area and looks possibly infected when looking inside. I can also feel some kind of injury on its back. Any advice or a breed ID would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    its an ornamental duck of some sort think (wild migratory) it could have escaped an enclosure as i dont see someone dumping something like this at a local pond/lake ect.

There is a section here on BYC for the ornamentals where you will get more answers and suggestions for helping it

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Looks like some kind of diving duck. Have a google search for ornamental diving ducks.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sure is cute, i hope you can help it. [​IMG]

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I think its a juvenile ruddy duck. This are photos of what they look like - similar to yours?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this is what it will look like as an adult
    [​IMG]
    You can look up this bird on the internet.
    It will eat aquatic insects, plants, snails, etc and also seeds. I think it should eat commercial duck pellets, or try it on the chicken pellets in a shallow dish of water until you can get hold of proper food.
    How is its injuries? Hope it will be OK. In Europe they are a pets species and are being eradicated as they are cross breeding with the very rare white headed duck and causing it to nearly go extinct.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  6. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Thanks. I actually did a quick search for duck breeds and found it. This is an adult female ruddy duck. No idea how she would have ended up where she did. Anyway, she was very happy in the bathtub for quite a while last night, but not as happy to be taken out. Turns out the legs on ruddy ducks are set further back on the body, making it difficult for them to walk on land. This one sort of lurches forward to move about and wants to scoot underneath things. She's very cute. Hopefully I can fix her up and find an appropriate home for her.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope she isn't injured too badly, is she eating?

8. DucksinOR

DucksinOR Out Of The Brooder

I would suggest that try to find a Wildlife rehabilitator to take care of the duck, if it is wild, and just because she behaves calmly does not mean she is a pet. Some wild ducks can be very tame if they have never been around people or have had significant exposure to humans. If she was a pet, legally she should have a leg band or one of her hind toes cut off. If she still has both hind toes and no band she is more than likely wild. A number of wild ducks have rather finicky diets and rehab center would likely know how to take care of her. As to where she was found, I know that sometimes duck and other waterfowl will land on pavement if it is wet because it can look like a pond. Her bill is the right shape for a Ruddy Duck and the injuries are likely sustained from hitting the black top. As far as I know ruddy ducks are also federally protected so you must have the proper permits to keep them. I think a wildlife rehabilitation center would be the best place to take her since they are likely to be familiar with treating wild species.

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Hi Lydia, I just pmed her. They like to stay in the water 90% of the time. My sons favorite duck by far. I have a boy and am getting him more. La genialoca if you have any questions about the bird Ill help the best I can. [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by