Injured duck foot help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by carlren, Jun 17, 2018.

1. carlren

carlren In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2016
    I don’t know when enough is enough for my Pekin. He has a swollen ankle/foot I think it looks I think is an infection. What can I do he limps around and when he lays down he doesn’t put weight on it. I have no idea what to do.

CayugaJana and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Pics?
    Could it be bumblefoot.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Please get pics and tell what you have done so far,

CayugaJana likes this.
  4. carlren

carlren In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2016
  5. carlren

carlren In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2016
    I’ve done one epsom salt soak and put some alcohol on it after to dry the foot. My local vet didn’t have many answers for me besides that.

6. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Looks like bumblefoot. Need to soak in Epsom salts, pick at it, and spray with vetricyn. I think antibiotic ointment - wrap and repeat.

7. carlren

carlren In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2016
    CayugaJana likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Yes it's Bumble I am treating some of my hens[chickens] I do Epsom salt wraps then spread clear iodine over the bumble once It's been done 3-4 days I can usually take my finger nail or sterile tweezers and pick up the end of the scab and pull up sometimes the plug comes out with the scab other times I have to pick it out pus in a duck is thick not thin. Now that I have the bumble out I use antibiotic ointment or blue kote wrap with vet wrap to give it time to close. Put a sterile no stick gauze under vet wrap. Check in about 3 days to see if you need to get any more gunk out wrap again as long as it's open

CayugaJana likes this.
  9. carlren

carlren In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2016
    Thank you! How long do you soak in epsom salt? He did wonderful for the first one now today he was not having it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: