1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured duck from animal attack, help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Michelle 0831, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Michelle 0831

Michelle 0831 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Looking for any advice on helping my Mallard. She lost most of her rear end in an attack. Looks scary! I know chickens can recover from such trauma but what about a duck?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    I know ducks can heal from some pretty bad stuff, but my ducks have never been attacked so I don't no much, so sorry :( , I hope you work it out and your mallard heals. :)

4. Michelle 0831

Mar 7, 2017
    I used a vet and got her meds and help. Splint and bandaged her leg. Broken in two spots. Her rear is healing well and new feathers are starting to poke thru. I think she will have a bald patch where she lost some flesh though, but overall much improved. I worry about her leg. She wants to use it and it's hard to immobilize and one break is a toe. Ugh! Poor girl!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    s her leg still splinted? I'd keep her from over doing till the splint copes off then start water therapy so she build back up her muscles.
    Glad to hear she is recovering.

What attacked her if you don't mind me asking. @Michelle 0831

6. Michelle 0831

Mar 7, 2017
    Don't know what attacked her. Found her a mess! My guess is a raccoon or dog.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Amazing she lived.. I hope she continues to heal, keep em safe.

8. Michelle 0831

Mar 7, 2017
    Update... DAWN is doing well. Feathers are growing fast- except a little tiny bald spot which probably won't be seen when all grown in. She limps since the splints came off but making progress on strengthening the weak leg. Sigh! She made a nest and laid her eggs. Wish I knew how to handle this situation.... the unfertilized nest! suggestions appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by