Injured Duck... help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jan 11, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

We haven't been able to catch our 2 mallards since they could fly... anyway, they've kept an 18" diameter hole in the ice from freezing, even in below zero weather... they fly up to the garden where the other ducks range during the day, and hang out, and then at dusk, hey fly back down to the hole in the ice for the night. Well, one day they didn't fly up, and I was sort of concerned, but actually GETTING to the pond involves a hundred yards of thigh deep snow... so the next day, I was really worried, though I could hear them quacking.. so I hiked down there, and one of them has a bad limp. I tried to catch it the next day when it did fly to the garden... I actually had snowshoes and a big net, went down to the pond and found that indeed, they'd both already flown to the garden. I tried to catch the hurt one in the garden and it flew back to the pond. ARGH!. Anyway, I caught dorothy today somehow penned her into the other ducks' coop, and she couldn't escape.. anyway, she is in my bathtub, lukewarm water and a handful of peas. her foot looks totally fine, but she doesn't really use it... what else should I be looking for, and HOW do I make her not fly? I considered tying a brick to her, but figured there's a better way... help? How long should I keep her in the tub, and should I make her live inside for a while?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I wonder if she strained a muscle on or in the ice or water. It may heal quicker if she were to stay quiet but it seems as if the bathroom would be too warm for her now. And her friend will really miss her. Not sure if you can make a small pen near your other ducks and lure the other up to catch and stay with her. I would hope in a few days you would see much improvement.
    I am sure others will have better answers.
    Good luck. I hope it all goes well.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    if she is the female, she couldve possibly suffered an injury from the male mating her. i had a problem like that with my pekin hen. i caught her and checked her legs and feet all over and there was no problem. seemed just the mating hurt her a bit. if you do not want her to fly any longer, you can clip her wings. https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html heres a link to some instructions here on BYC. maybe if you clip her wings first, then put her back outside her mate will come to her. im not sure. hopefully some others can be of some assistance. good luck!

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

If you don't want her to fly, then you need to clip one or both wings:

[​IMG]

5. chickensducks&agoose

She is a female, but her mate 'cute' is also a female... i know... anyway, I clipped one wing (THANKS!!!!) and put her back outside, but the other ducks are picking on her, since she can't run OR fly now, so I have to find separate quarters... good thing DH isn't home.. he likes his workshop to be poultry-free...

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If the others are picking on her, it is possible they have been all along and have been keeping her away from the feed.

Ducks take a dislike to one and will do that.

If she is tame, maybe you can feed her separately a couple times a day. You might try giving her a bit of cat food, either wet or crushed dry to boost her a bit.

7. chickensducks&agoose

wet like from the can? or like dry + water?

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Whatever she will eat. Mine like the Costco Kirkland brand dry cat food because it is small and roundish. I think some of those odd shaped ones need crushed so they don't stick in their throats.

9. chickensducks&agoose

THANK YOU! I'll try that today.. have to go buy some cat food.. don't have a cat..

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

chickensducks&agoose :

She is a female, but her mate 'cute' is also a female... i know... anyway, I clipped one wing (THANKS!!!!) and put her back outside, but the other ducks are picking on her, since she can't run OR fly now, so I have to find separate quarters... good thing DH isn't home.. he likes his workshop to be poultry-free...

Can you get her mate and clip her too so she has a friend with her?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by